The firm owes its name to its three founders, Bernard Jodoin, Denis Lamarre and Gérard Pratte. Founded in 1958 with the intention of producing sustainable and responsible architecture, the firm draws together a team of 120 architects, technicians, designers, and professionals under the direction of Alain Boudrias, Michel Broz, Catherine Demers, Martine Gévry, Sylvain Morrier, and Nicolas Ranger, who carry on the culture set out by its founders.
Three architecture graduates from the Université de Montréal, Bernard Jodoin, Denis Lamarre and Gérard Pratte decide to join their professional vocations by founding an office. They initially associate with Pierre Major, a fellow student who works alongside them for five years, then with Jacques Carrière until 1971. As with many young agencies, their beginnings are characterized by small construction, renovation and design contracts, both commercial and residential in nature.
The first institutional project consists in repairing the tower and copper dome and developing the archives of the Bibliothèque centrale within the tower of the main pavilion of the Université de Montréal, designed by Ernest Cormier.
Realization of the Pavilion for the Republic of Haiti at Expo 67.
The firm enjoys a certain experience in the field of education, as well as a covetable technical reputation. Its first participation in a megaproject is the creation of the Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM) by the Québec government, at the heart of the Latin Quarter in Montréal. The firm develops the original Berri campus almost entirely, completing phases I, II and IIA between 1972 and 1993. The project is completed simultaneously with a vast program of building extensions and redevelopments for the École Polytechnique. The public attention that the firm acquires leads to its participation in other projects dedicated to education, notably for the Université de Montréal, McGill University, Concordia University, the University of Ottawa, the Université de Sherbrooke, in addition to a number of colleges and CEGEPs, endowing the firm with sought-after expertise in the architecture of educational institutions in Québec.
The firm reaches 50 employees.
Restoration and redesign of the chapel of the Sacred Heart at the Notre-Dame Basilica between 1979 and 1982 following a fire. The project receives an Award of Excellence from the magazine Canadian Architect, an Award of Excellence in Architecture by the Ordre des Architectes du Québec, and a prestigious Governor General of Canada Medal in Architecture.
Jodoin Lamarre Pratte architectes relocates to its current offices in a reconverted oil consumption meter manufactory across from Atelier Angus in the Rosemont neighbourhood.
The firm adds new areas of activity and expertise to its repertoire, to note in areas of health, industry (Hydro-Québec), the Nord-du-Québec region, and culture. The Anna-Laberge health centre in Châteauguay and the Saint-Eustâche health centre refine and consolidate the firm’s experience in the healthcare sector, begun the decade prior. Starting in the 1980s, the firm acquires a specific proficiency in the Nordic environment, addressing the challenges of social context, harsh climate, demanding logistics and scarcity of resources.
106 architecture teams enter the Québec government’s public design competition for the construction of the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal (MACM). Jodoin Lamarre Pratte architectes wins, though later modifying its project to respond to the final architectural program. Construction begins in 1988 and the contemporary art museum is inaugurated in 1992, on the occasion of the 350th anniversary of Montréal’s founding.
Consult « Huit hommes qui changent Montréal », L'actualité, September 1984 (French)
A second generation takes over direction from the hands of its founding members: Maurice Cabana, Gabriel Charbonneau, Michel Desrosiers and Claude Sauvageau. This first succession results from the careful consideration of its founders to ensure the long-lasting quality of the firm. The team reaches a new peak of 65 employees.
In 1988 the firm begins its expansion of the McCord Museum of Canadian history. The museum is doubled in terms of institutional space, equipped with sophisticated conservation facilities and provided with improved thermal control technicalities. Completed in 1991 and officially inaugurated in 1992, the new McCord Museum masterfully unifies classic and contemporary styles. The project obtains five architectural awards for its respect towards the patrimonial character of the existing building conceived by Percy E. Nobbs and his associates Hutchison and Woof between 1904 and 1906, as well as for its sensibility in terms of architectural design.
Restoration and expansion of the Abner-Bagg House in Old Montréal, a compound of three buildings constructed between 1819 and 1937 by Abner Bagg, classified as a historical monument. The firm receives a Save Montréal – Orange Prize in the Recycling category, and the BOMA Québec First Prize for Historical Buildings.
Perpetually seeking to improve the quality of its services, the firm becomes interested in the movement of quality design. In 1998 it becomes one of the first architectural firms in Québec to obtain ISO accreditation.
Aéroports de Montréal launches a bidding process for the expansion of the Montréal–Pierre-Elliot-Trudeau International Airport, an ambitious architectural project that is unique in its reach in Québec. Four of the foremost Québec firms create an organization to respond to the requirements of the selection process, which lasts ten weeks and requires over 2,500 hours of preparation. As of 1987, Jodoin Lamarre Pratte architectes had been implicated on a variety of projects at the international Montréal–Trudeau airport on behalf of Transport Canada, and, as of 1992, on behalf of Aéroports de Montréal (ADM). Jodoin Lamarre Pratte architectes is awarded the mandate within Consortium PCJA Architects, and still today realizes projects of varying calibre for ADM.
The new century begins with four other projects that win competitions successively between 1999 and 2002: the Richard J. Renaud Pavilion at Concordia University, the municipal library of Châteauguay, the Chapiteau des arts for TOHU – Cité des arts du cirque, and the Vieux-Terrebonne Theatre. Between 2000 and 2005, the firm participates in over half the mandates of all architectural plans and specifications associated with health centre renovations in Greater Montréal. The firm spends two years elaborating the functional and technical plan for McGill University Health Centre, aware of the powerful role of architecture in the process of healing.
Our commitment to the sustainability and durability of our buildings make us natural adherents to the principles of sustainable development. The firm participates in the creation of the TOHU pavilion, the first gold-certified LEED project in Québec.
The firm celebrates the 50th anniversary of its founding. Michel Bourassa, Michel Broz, Marc Laurendeau and Jean Martin represent the third generation of senior partners, leading 80 architects, technicians, and other professionals and supporting staff.
The collective partnership Jodoin Lamarre Pratte et associés architectes incorporates and becomes Jodoin Lamarre Pratte architectes inc. The firm is led by Michel Bourassa, Michel Broz, Jean Martin, Sylvain Morrier and Nicolas Ranger.
In consortium with Atelier TAG, Jodoin Lamarre Pratte architectes wins the joint architectural competition organized by the Montréal Museum of Fine Arts and the Québec government for the design of the 5th museum pavilion. As of 2016, the Michal and Renata Hornstein Pavilion for Peace exhibits international collections and new acquisitions, and accommodates educational facilities and communal spaces. The consortium combines architectural creativity, technical innovation and over 15 years of management experience. The team is chosen for its proficiency as well as for its long-term relations established throughout the prior years. The main partners had in fact collaborated since 1996 on over fifteen winning cultural projects, including many architectural design competitions. Together, they have won competitions for libraries, theatres and cultural centres: the Bibliothèque de Châteauguay (2001), the Théâtre du Vieux-Terrebonne (2002), the Bibliothèque Raymond-Lévesque de Longueuil (2008), the Théâtre Gilles-Vigneault in St-Jérôme (2014) and the Pôle du savoir, d’histoire et de la culture in Chambly (2016). Over the years, the consortium with Atelier TAG + Jodoin Lamarre Pratte architectes has developed an effective work methodology and a growing body of technical knowledge that favours innovation through a shared vision of contemporary architecture.
At the end of 2013, Jodoin Lamarre Pratte architectes celebrates its 55th anniversary by revealing its new brand image, developed by the Montréal agency Paprika. The branding is the result of an in-depth consideration that reflects the firm’s values of collaboration, respect, quality and rigour. It was our aim to improve the visibility, perception and recognition of our business, to display the evolution of the architectural practice, to heighten and standardise the graphic quality of all of our communications, and to be effective in the production of all our documents.
Inauguration of the new Critical Care Pavilion at the Jewish General Hospital, a colossal project of 85,000 m² in the heart of the cosmopolitan neighbourhood of Côte-des Neiges in Montréal. In Québec this corresponds to the first model of modernization of a university campus hospital, realized through the centralized organization of advanced technologies in a newly constructed contemporary hospital. Jodoin Lamarre Pratte architectes elaborates the entirety of the functional and technical program, and creates 75% of the designs, plans and specifications of the project, enhanced by the development of the largest emergency unit in the province spanning 6,600 m².
Inauguration of the Michal and Renata Hornstein Pavilion for Peace at the Montréal Fine Arts Museum, the expansion of 4,000 m² spreads over six storeys and is completed under the accelerated construction of an external contractor in order to open its doors for the festivities of Montréal’s 375th anniversary in 2017.
Jodoin Lamarre Pratte architectes celebrates its 60th year. Its contribution to the design and realization of projects straddling the fields of education, health, culture, research, industry and transportation is significant.
A team of 100 architects, technicians, designers and other professionals is led by Alain Boudrias, Michel Bourassa, Michel Broz, Sylvain Morrier and Nicolas Ranger.